Wednesday, June 27, 2007

South African Flashback

Dear Luci and Emily,


Ok, so the great internet connection (although this is the 7th time I've tried to post this) and the cool weather in Nairobi has inspired me to try and post at least a little of where I've been roaming. This time last year I was in South Africa. I took a week with some friends to drive the Garden Route. It was really a surfer's guide to SA as Robb, the man we made coordinate and plan the whole thing, is a surfer from California stuck in land-locked Zambia for now.

We started in Capetown and went to a great B&B on the Southern Right Coast that overlooks the whale routes. It was stunning. Also, it was the first time I ever saw anyone in Africa walking a dog on a leash.

We set off for Boulder Beach.

Yeah, I don't know why they call it boulder beach either. It was, in a word, stunning. And, to top off the scenery, the company, the wine, etc...there were penguins. Yes penguins. Cathy didn't believe there were penguins in Africa either.


They affectionately call them Jackass penguins because they bray like donkeys. It's one of the funniest sounds I have ever heard. And they are everywhere. Oh, and they bite, hard apparently so don't get too close.





He may not look mean to you but this guy meant business. We gave him a wide berth while he stared us down. King of the beach.

Ahhh, yes. Anything worth doing is worth doing right.

- K.

No comments: