Saturday, October 13, 2007

road and more road...and people walking

Here is a shot of the jacarandas. I wish the purple came out better, they really are a brilliant violet color. The flowers have started to fall and the ground underneath looks like a long violet carpet. The drive was long, and a little warm but as I mentioned the scenery was wonderful!




The road is called the Great East Road. Very aptly named. It runs east, and then further east and then still further to the east. We passed huge stretches with nothing there, then there would be a few huts visible, then small villages, then a "town" and then nothing again for a very long time.


As in all places I have traveled over here, you will be driving through the middle of nowhere (which did I mention I spent six hours driving through?) and suddenly the road is full of people walking. No idea where from or where to, but they are walking or biking and usually carrying very very heavy things or have two other people on their bike. I can't get over how physically demanding the lives of the people here are. I really am in awe.



Yes, note there is nothing around. I really really want to know where they are going.



Yes, that is an oil drum on her head....

We finally made it to Katete in time for the Zambian sunset...


I wish the pictures could do this place justice. I really is a beautiful country. That's all for this post. More to follow as I catch you up on the week. Miss you all!!
Love,
K.

No comments: