Thursday, June 12, 2008

World AIDS Day 2007

I had the honor of being at Bungwe for World AIDS Day on December 1st. This was my first AIDS Day outside of the US, and it was amazing. No candle light vigil, no sad stories. I think every patient from the clinic and their family, and most of the village came to celebrate life. There was dancing, and singing, and educational skits. I don't have the words for how moving the whole experience was and how humbled I felt to be working with these people hopefully supporting their lives in some small way.

This is the children's support group. They all had new school uniforms made just for the celebration.





There were so many people it was amazing.



This is the support group that is making traditional baskets from world food program sacks for sale in fair trade. If anyone wants one let me know! All the money goes back to the support group for income generation projects.



Just spectacular to have been a part of this special day.

No comments: